This is soon becoming one of the favorite dishes at our house! Gary has been kicking diets in the butt lately and after doing 3 months of no sugar, no flour, decided to do a 6 day water fast that he really enjoyed. After completing his water fast he wanted to keep his body in a ketogenic state and has been eating a keto style diet for a few weeks now. He is loving it and he has maintained his weight since his water fast.
Since keto is low carb he searched for veggies that were on the OK list. Cauliflower is one of them and we decided to experiment with cheesy cauliflower for dinner one night. We have never eaten a lot of cauliflower before and when we have it hasn’t been a raving success but this recipe redeemed them all! I give Gary all the credit for making this cauliflower recipe that I love so much!
This dinner fills me up but doesn’t weigh me down. I feel good eating a veggie based meal and my girls love it too! It tastes great re-heated and you can cook it in the oven or on the stove. Make it your own with your favorite flavors of cheese and toppings. Enjoy and let me know how you like it!
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 4 oz cream cheese (1/2 package) softened (I always get low fat)
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream (I prefer low fat as well)
- 4 oz of your favorite cheese or a combination of cheeses
- bacon bits/crumbles
- 1-12.5 oz can of canned chicken (I added this part for some extra protein, Gary leaves this out of his.)
- salt/pepper/favorite seasonings
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium size bowl combine softened cream cheese + sour cream+ most of the grated cheese + bacon bits. Save some for the topping) Mix until smooth
- Remove the base of the cauliflower and separate into bite size pieces. Add the cauliflower and canned chicken to the mixture, add seasoning to taste and stir until cauliflower is evenly coated. (I usually let people season their own food because my house has very different preferences in that department)
- Put mixture into a 9×13 baking pan or casserole dish and cook in oven for about 20 minutes or until cauliflower begins to get soft.
- Remove cauliflower from the oven and mix up the cauliflower to makes sure the meted cheese evenly coats everything. After, top your dish off with the remaining cheese and bacon bits to make a yummy crust on top! Place back in the oven for 5-10 minutes until cheese is melted and cauliflower is soft.
This dish is very yummy without the chicken and is a great vegetarian dish. We also love adding mushrooms and it would be delicious with bits of smoked tri-tip on top for those carnivores our there! If you find that your dish is just too cheesy for your liking, cut back on the cream cheese and grated cheese, the cauliflower by no means needs to be “swimming” in cheese to taste good. Just having a bit of sauce on top makes them delicious and keeps you from feeling weighed down. I hope you love this as much as we do!